Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Book # 35

Starting From Scratch
Secrets from 21 Ordinary People Who Made the Entrepreneurial Leap
By Wes Moss

I am being wishy washy. I read this book and although it was okay, I wasn't going to blog about it. So I took it back to the library, and then the next day I changed my mind. So I went back to the library and took some notes. There is not a lot but maybe it will give you an idea of whether you want to read it or not.

The author talks about the HUNT

First, you "HARNESS WHAT YOU HAVE. Embark on an internal, 2 part process of self discovery. First identify your inherent skills. Second, figure out something tangible that you love: a product, industry, or trade you are proud to be associated with. Put them together and you've got a business venture."

Second, you "UNDERESTIMATE YOUR OBSTACLES. Practice the learned trait of optimism. Define a vision and mentally bypass the multitude of things that can go wrong or stand in your way so you can focus on your own personal and all-important vision."

Third, "NOTICE YOUR NETWORK. Engage in a process of external recognition. Find those around you who can assist you in realizing your vision, and utilize the leverage that others provide in reaching your particular goal."

Fourth, then you must "TAKE THE FIRST STEP. Develop a bias toward action. This step provides the catalyst that makes any entrepreneurial dream or vision turn into reality. Without it, there is no HUNT."

My favorite story was about Susan Flores, founder of the Barefoot Cafe on the Providenciales Island in the Turks and Caicos chain. Heck if I know where that is....somewhere in the Caribbean. I guess if your going to work reeeeeeally hard on starting and running a business, then you might as well make it somewhere nice, eh?

What I really learned from this book, is that I am not entrepreneurial material. At least not right now. I am still in the mom phase and I don't want anything to interfere with that. Maybe someday I will feel passionate about something else enough to give my life to it, because basically that is what each one of those 21 people did.

Until Next Time :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment